Guidelines For School Reopening In The Covid Era
As the number of Covid19 cases steadily decline, schools across the nation are gearing up to reopen after nearly 19 months. Never have educational institutions stayed closed for that long. This reopening will be new, unlike how things used to be in the pre-Covid period. While remote learning through online classes remains the preferred norm, it is time to return to what was once considered normal.
It is the responsibility of schools to ensure that all measures are in place to ensure the safety of students and teachers. Parents also need guidance to help their young children understand the importance of practising Covid19 protocols. In this article, one of the leading IGCSE schools in Chennai (https://www.internationalvillage.org/) list some useful guidelines for parents. You can also find more here about cleaning tips for schools with in-person learning.
What Schools Should Do To Function Safely
With the COVID-19 pandemic, the education sector has changed forever. It will not be sufficient to handle a crisis of such magnitude with traditional schooling. There is no doubt that schooling in a post-pandemic world will be challenging. Schools that are considering reopening should address the following concerns:
- Ensuring undisrupted learning for students at all times
- Delivering high-quality and meaningful education even when schools are shut
- Ensuring the safety of students and staff
- Implementing Covid19 protocols
- Ensuring that all safety procedures are followed
- Following up closely with the student’s and teacher’s health
Schools must undertake maintenance activities to ensure that the campus is safe for usage. Maintenance is the unsung hero of school safety. It can help avoid costly accidents and update the school’s infrastructure. Consistent maintenance contributes to overall safety by preventing and correcting minor threats to students and teachers. Routine maintenance includes mopping the floors, cleaning the toilets, and performing safety checks. This will ensure that the facility is clean and well-organised for the daily activities of students and teachers.
In short, preventative maintenance is important to keep all facilities and equipment in good working order. This ingenious system for planned maintenance reduces time spent recording incidents and accidents and stores all relevant information in a neat, easily accessible location.
Guideline For Summer Maintenance For Schools
Summer is a great time to upgrade the school’s amenities and conduct repair work. Most of the top IGCSE schools in Chennai are closed during the summer. This allows maintenance workers to complete all tasks and ready the premises for reopening. When summer break begins, make a list of all of the assets in your building and budget for them. This is the best time to review your maintenance schedules and make necessary adjustments.
Summer maintenance activities can be completed in an empty building, but planning for the summer months can be difficult. However, we are providing you with a checklist for school maintenance during the summer. For starters, you can consider:
- Replacing broken window panes and floor coverings
- Conducting roof and guttering repair
- Replacing bathroom fixtures and fittings
- Inspecting electrical wiring, plug points, and lighting
- Evaluate your key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Clean your school buildings.
- Install basins and taps to encourage hand washing
- Install hand sanitisers outside all classrooms
- Install dispensers with masks
- Maintain an infirmary to deal with sick children
- Conduct air and water quality tests
School administrations should implement the following:
- Follow all CDC guidelines to ensure safety in a classroom setting
- Check the temperature of students and staff
- Instruct staff to keep a close lookout for symptoms
Keeping children safe in such unpredictable times is a responsibility shared by the school and the parents. All parents are likely to face challenges in keeping their children safe in the classroom during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some guidelines that parents can follow when schools reopen.
Checklist For Parents To Ensure The Safety Of Children
The FDA has approved the COVID-19 vaccine for children between 12 and 15. Therefore, to prevent COVID-19, make sure your child is fully vaccinated and reinforce the precautions you take daily. It is also important to maintain social distancing even if your child has received a vaccination.
Parents should also ensure that:
- Children are trained to wear their masks and wash their hands after touching common surfaces.
- Children have an annual checkup to ensure they are healthy with a good immune system.
- The school is proactive in keeping your child safe while on campus.
Above all, parents should be receptive to their children. If your child is worried about returning to school during the pandemic, you should be available and prepared to talk to them about their fears. Whether your child is concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic, make sure you listen to them and encourage him or them.